The Bridge the Gap professional development webinar provided by one of the authors, shares an in-depth understanding of the assessments and lessons included in Bridge the Gap: Phonemic Awareness Intervention Lessons.
Participants will gain a thorough understanding of the lesson components, assessments, and activities included in the intervention manual.
An outline of the training is as follows:
- What is Phonemic Awareness?
Defining Phonological and Phonemic Awareness and how it is different from Phonics.
- Why is Phonological and Phonemic Awareness Important?
An overview of the research behind the need for explicit phonemic awareness
instruction in older learners that struggle with word reading.
- How can the lessons be implemented in an Intervention?
- Assess: Defining the structure and components of the curriculum:
- Review Table of Contents
- Placement Assessment
- Administering placement assessment and planning for instruction
- Design: Review the Lesson Structure and Explicit Instruction included:
- Anchor Lessons
- Lesson Focus
- Teacher Tips and Hand motions
- Implement: Understanding the 3 Parts of curriculum:
Part 1: Phoneme Isolation
Part 2: Blending and Segmenting
Part 3: Phoneme Manipulation
- Next Steps:
- Continued support in PA & how to support learners proficient in PA but continue to struggle with word reading.
- Questions & Answers