The Phonemic Awareness (Tier 1) professional development webinar, provided by a knowledgeable Literacy Specialist, provides educators with an overview of the Heggerty Phonemic Awareness curriculum.
Participants will learn about the lesson components and activities included in all three levels of the curriculum: the Pre-K version, the Kindergarten version, and the Primary version, which can be used with 1st and 2nd grade classrooms and is recommended for use with older learners who struggle to decode. The webinar focus can be on the English and/or the Spanish curricula.
Zoom is the online platform that is used to provide the webinar for teachers, so an internet connection, video screen and speakers are required.
An outline of a webinar PD is as follows:
- What is Phonemic Awareness?
Defining Phonological and Phonemic Awareness and how it is different from Phonics
- Why is Phonemic Awareness Important?
Brief overview of the research behind the curriculum
- How can the lessons be implemented in a classroom?
Defining the 10 components included in the Phonemic Awareness curriculum
- Review of the scope & sequence for each skill over the 35 weeks of lessons
- Complete modeled lesson
- 8 Phonemic Awareness skills: Rhyming, Onset Fluency, Blending, Segmenting, Isolating Final or Medial Sounds, Adding, Deleting, and Substituting Phonemes
- Hand motions modeled for some skills
iii. 2 Early Literacy Components: Letter Naming & Language Awareness
- Suggestions for implementing Phonemic Awareness in an intervention setting.
- Questions and Answers